The latest lens inherits all the attributes of the acclaimed PENTAX Limited lens series including high-quality image reproduction, distinctive visual description, and high-grade lens-barrel finish. The smc PENTAX DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited lens will ship in July 2006 for $549.95.
Ultra-thin, super-lightweight design
With newly developed, high-performance optics, this new lens measures only one inch (25 millimeters long) and weighs a mere 4.9 ounces (140 grams). Mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body, the lens protrudes very little from the camera's front panel, making it an ideal choice for carry-everywhere, instantaneous snapshot photography.
Versatile wide-angle perspective
Mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body — including the new K100D — this lens offers an angle of view equivalent to a 32mm lens in the 35mm format. This versatile angle of view produces natural images with a moderate perspective and an expanded depth of field (or a wide in-focus area), making it ideal for many different types of subjects and occasions, including snapshots, landscape, travel photos, and architecture.
This lens incorporates a hybrid aspherical lens in its eighth optical element to effectively compensate for a variety of aberrations, which cause adverse effects on overall image quality. In order to assure high-quality image reproduction over the entire focusing range, it also features a floating mechanism, which is designed to adjust the degree of aberration compensation in relation to the focusing distance.
Limited Lens-series quality for distinctive visual description and a premium appearance
The PENTAX Limited Lens series is designed for ultimate image reproduction by combining a series of mechanical and numerical evaluations with human assessment of test shot samples. True to this tradition, this new lens not only assures excellent image quality, but also produces sharp, clear images with outstanding contrast even at the maximum aperture, because its optical design has been optimized for digital photography. In addition, its lens barrel, hood and cap are all made of a high-grade aluminum material, shaped for perfect proportions and striking beauty.
SP coating to protect the lens against water and grease
The PENTAX-original Super Protective (SP) coating is applied to the front surface of the lens. Through a vapor deposition process, the lens surface is coated with a special fluorine compound to repel dust, water and grease, making it easy to wipe off fingerprints and cosmetics.
Digital SLR-exclusive design
This lens is exclusively designed for use with the PENTAX digital SLR cameras, with an image circle perfectly proportioned to the CCD size (23.5mm x 15.7mm), and optics optimized for digital imaging characteristics. Combining high-quality image reproduction with an ultra-thin, super-lightweight design, it is a perfect partner to PENTAX digital SLR cameras.
- PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus System for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system.
- Minimum focusing distance of 20 centimeters for close-up photography.
- Dual filter attachment design: 43mm filters on the hood, and 49mm filters on the lens (without use of the hood).
- Lens mount: PENTAX KAF mount
- Lens construction: 8 elements in 5 groups
- Angle of view: 68° ( when used with *istD series & K100D body )
- Aperture control: Automatic
- Number of diaphragm blades: 7
- Minimum aperture: F22
- Metering system: TTL open-aperture metering
- Minimum focusing distance: 0.2m (0.66ft.)
- Filter size: 43mm or 49mm
- Maximum magnification: 0.17X
- Dimensions (diameter x length): 63mm x 25mm (2.5inch x 1.0inch)
- Weight: 140g (4.9oz) without hood / 155g(5.5oz) with hood